I just read an interesting article in Psychology Today.
By the five signs of a stealth narcissist, it seems I know a few of them. This sounds like some people in my family, a friend’s boyfriend and even colleagues.
« 5 Signs of a Stealth Narcissist
Flashy clothing and sky-high confidence are the « public » face of narcissism. Here are a few additional cues, some contradictory, in keeping with the narcissist’s paradoxical nature.
- Bragging about one’s perfect family (no one’s family is perfect).
- Hypergenerosity in public to demonstrate that one has power, but coldness once the camera is off.
- Hypersensitive and insecure. This includes imagining criticism where it doesn’t exist and getting depressed by perceived criticism. »Vulnerable » narcissists are self-centered and overly defensive.
- Prone to a vast array of negative emotions including depression, anxiety, self-consciousness, and shame owing to not being given their « due. » Such feelings can be an indication of egocentricity and self-absorption.
- Repeatedly puts down other people, especially inferiors and strangers. Loves to talk about him or herself and mentions others mainly to name-drop. »
I think I need to be careful. I attract narcissists.